Healing Practice of Mudras
Mudras Regulate the Five Elements of the Body*
The Universe is composed of five elements, earth, air, water, fire, and ether. Similarly our body is also a union of five elements which is represented by our five fingers. Hand mudras regulate these five elements in our body. The fingers representing five elements are:
the Thumb for Fire;
the Index (Jupiter finger) for Air;
the Middle (Saturn finger) for Ether or Space;
the Ring (Sun finger) for Earth;
the Pinky (Mercury finger) for Water.
(See also the Reflexlology Foot Chart.)
How to perform hand mudras
Mudras in general are actions of hands and fingers that can be performed at any time in any way, like sitting, standing, walking or travelling. So there’s no need to devote a special time to perform a mudra, but the maximum benefit is by doing it in sitting posture, especially in sukhasana (easy pose), vajrasana, or padmasana. (See photos, L to R.) If you have constriants of time you can even perform them in installments.
Timing and duration for mudras
In the initial phase mudras should be performed for at least 10 minutes and then can be extended to 30 minutes to 1 hour. It is not necessary to leave all your normal work for 1 hour to perform mudras as it can be done at any time, any place, and in any posture, even if you can’t perform all at one stretch you can practice in 2-3 installments.
Mudras are very powerful. If practiced regularly, you’ll experience the health benefits. (See Disease/Mudra list.)
For Cerebral Equilibrium
Mudra of Knowledge
Touch the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger, with the other three fingers stretched out.
A mudra of knowledge, it enhances the knowledge. The tip of thumb correlates to the pituitary and endocrine glands. When you press these centers with the index finger the two glands work actively.
No particular time duration for this mudra. You can practice while sitting, standing or lying on a bed whenever and wherever you have time.
- Increases memory power and sharpens the brain
- Enhances concentration and prevents Insomnia
- When practiced regularly, it will relieve psychological disorders like Hysteria, Anger and Depression (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Earth
Tip of the ring finger touches the tip of the thumb with the other three fingers stretched out.
Reduces all physical weaknesses.
Has no particular time duration. You can practice it any time you want.
- Helps to increase weight for weak life-force people
- Improves the complexion of skin and makes the skin glow
- Promotes body functionality (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Water
Tip of little finger touches the tip of thumb with the other three fingers stretched out.
Balances the water content and prevents all diseases which come due to lack of water.
Has no specific time duration. Can be practiceed according to convenience.
- Retains clarity in blood by balancing water content in the body
- Prevents the pain of Gastroenteritis and Muscle Shrinkage (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Air
Keep the index finger on the base of the thumb and press with the thumb keeping the other three fingers straight.
Prevents diseases that occur due to imbalances in the air.
The practice of this mudra for 45 minutes reduces the severity of disease in 12 to 24 hours. For better results practice for 40-60 days.
- Relieves Rheumatism, Arthritis, Gout, Parkinson’s disease and paralysis without any medicine
- Useful for Cervical Spondilytis, paralysis of the face, and pressure on nerves in neck
- Relieves gas pressure in the stomach (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Emptiness
Keep the middle finger at the mount of Venus and press with the thumb.
Reduces the dullness in the body.
One can practice this for 40 to 60 minutes daily until relieved.
- Relieves an earache within 4 or 5 minutes
- Useful for the deaf and mentally challenged (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of the Sun
Bend the ring finger and press it with thumb.
Correlates to the thyroid gland.
Practice twice daily for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Reduces cholesterol in body and helps in reducing weight
- Reduces anxiety
- Corrects or relieves indigestion (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Life
Bend ring finger and little finger and touch the tip of thumb with their tips keeping the remaining two fingers stretched.
As it is the mudra of life, this improves the life force. The weak become strong. Reduces clumps in blood vessels. Practiced regularly this promotes physical activity.
No specific time duration. One can practice it any time.
- Improves immunity
- Improves the power of the eyes and reduces eye related issues
- Relieves vitamin deficiency and fatigue (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Digestion
The tips of middle finger and ring finger touch the tip of thumb while the other two fingers are stretched out.
Plays an important role in our health as it regulates the excretory system. Note: Your health and wellness is absolutely dependant on the rapid removal of systemic waste. Toxicity can be mitigated if removed from the body rapidly. Try it. See I Do Not Eat Dead Animals and Dieterata.
Practice daily for 45 minutes, but practicing for longer period yields more benefits.
- Regulates diabetes
- Relieves constipation and piles
- Helps establish regular excretion of solid waste (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Apana Vayu Mudra
Mudra of the Heart
The tips of the middle finger and ring finger touch the tip of thumb, while the index finger touches the base of thumb and the little finger is stretched out.
Benefits the heart and works like an injection in the reduction of heart attack. It is as powerful as a sorbitate tablet. Reduces the gas content in body.
Practice as many times as you can. Heart patients and BP patients can practice twice for 15 minutes daily for better results.
- Strengthens the heart and regularizes palpitation
- Regulates excretory system
- Relieves gastric issues (See Disease/Mudra list.)
Mudra of Heat
Interlock the fingers of both hands and keep the thumb of the left hand vertically straight and encircle it with the thumb and the index finger of the right hand.
Generates heat in the body. Take milk, ghee, more water and fruit juices in addition to the practice of this mudra for many benefits.
Practice any time. But do not over-practice as it produces heat in the body. It can cause excessive sweating even in winter.
- Stops production of phlegm and gives power to lungs
- Relieves severe cold and bronchial infections
- Invigorates the body
To remain healthy and free from any illness or disease, a balance is required among the five elements.
Science reveals that coordination of the five elements controls the internal glands of the body parts, and their physiological functions. There are particularly dormant energies within the body, which get activated using these mudras thus making us healthy and fit.